Tuesday, October 26, 2010

While drinking my morning coffee today and finishing up my latest homework assignment at my favorite lair, I was surprised when my sweet friend Summer stopped her work and pulled me outside to take some photos of my outfit. It made me realize that personal style shows most when you don't have much time and throw things together based off quick inspiration.

This morning, I put on grey knee socks first and based the rest of my look around them. This is a great way to start, taking one quirky piece and working around it.




photos: Summer Brown

My cropped t-shirt is a "Vespa" shirt I cut off, bought from a street vendor while studying abroad in Florence, Italy. This shirt has a lot of sentimental value for me, since my time in Florence was incredibly eye opening and inspirational. Sometimes I wish this shirt was not cropped so I could wear it in more ways, but c'est la vie. I am always cutting things.

My skirt is vintage Chloe that I found for an incredible deal at a shop in Nyack, the town that I waitressed in at a place called Temptations Cafe throughout my high school years. Although this skirt is too big for me, I snatched it up anyways and vowed to wear it with a belt or pin it. Eventually, I will get it altered.

My lace up wicker brogues were a purchase made at Steve Madden in the West Village, during a summer of staying at a semi-permanent apartment and doing a lot of yoga and self-reflection.

Surprisingly, I do not remember where these knee socks are from, as I have had them forever. But, they definitely represent the girlish side of me that will always be there.

To bring everything together, I threw on the leather jacket that I made myself purchase right before heading to Florence for that semester. If I was going to study in Italy, I would need a leather jacket. I have had it for over two years now and love it even more now that it is broken in and buttery-soft.

Although this outfit took about 3 minutes to put together, it is very representative of my journeys and personal style. For me, style is about expressing your mood, telling your story and being comfortable, regardless of trends.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I like this. A little bit more personal than the rest. It's very good, I just encourage you to go deeper. Why do you love something you love? What do you mean you'll always be girlish? Things to think about

B+

Nice pics too!