Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Aurel Schmidt for Opening Ceremony

When I came across this unisex collection, I was blown away by the elegant grime of the t-shirts. When paired with polished yet tough pieces such as leather jackets, well-tailored pants and leather boots, these t-shirts make a perfectly sarcastic statement.



Toothpaste with various blood/dark substance splatters.


Half-eaten doughnut.


Bacon, blood, fly.


Cigarettes, splattered dark substance, blood marks.


Although this collection could be looked upon as typical hipster attire, I think it is very different from the typical lines you find at Opening Ceremony since it exposes trash as art, ultimately. The graphics are high quality and the concepts are definitely unique. Although the screen prints are somewhat grotesque, they maintain their elegance because they are printed simply on off-white, worn in in t-shirts. This makes the shirts very wearable and versatile, allowing both females and males to remix them in a million different ways.


1 comment:

Heather said...

nicely done. I love the phrase "elegant grime." I did feel, though, that you could have gone a bit deeper into what t-shirts like this mean. To me, they just seemed gross - I basically know what you mean about how the disgusting can become cool and even surpass hip, but I'm not sure you fully articulated it all the way. Go a bit deeper next time. Fashion is fascinating and worth exploring.

B